The History of the Salvation Army
The Salvation Army began in 1865 when William Booth, a Methodist minister in London, England, gave up the comfort of his pulpit and decided to take his message into the streets where it would reach the poor, the homeless, the hungry and the destitute.
The History of the London Centre of Hope
After consultations with the City of London and its other funders, identified a need for more shelter beds for men, women and youth. The Salvation Army then began the Sheltering Hope campaign in 2004, effectively tackling citywide needs. The six-storey, $15.6 million Centre of Hope with 267- bed capacity along with 18 more beds in withdrawal management, opened its doors November 2004. This new building replaced the 53-year old Men’s Hostel building at 185 Horton Street that only had capacity for 93 men. These facilities would also provide shelter for women giving them a secured private floor. The youth would find their place on the 6th floor moving from the Cross Zone Youth Shelter on Richmond.
The Salvation Army’s Community & Family Services, which includes a food bank and the Housing Stability Bank are also in the Centre. Correctional & Justice Services also shares space in the building.
Over the years the Centre continues to be a place of refuge and hope for thousands within the community.