|POSITION PURPOSE SUMMARY:
The Salvation Army Centre of Hope Housing Worker in the Housing Stability Bank Department is responsible to
assist in the organization, facilitation and delivery of Housing Stability Bank Programs including: Rental
Assistance and Emergency Utility Assistance programs. As The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus
Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world, every position
contributes to the spiritual and social services mission of The Salvation Army, ensuring that their work and
interactions with clients and coworkers is done in a manner befitting Christian standards, attitudes, principles
• Complete all duties in accordance with the Standards and Policies & Procedures of The Salvation
Army London Centre of Hope
• Assist in development and presentation of promotional and informational materials.
Assist in the orientation and training of students and volunteers
• Promote the mission, policies and objectives of The Salvation Army
• Have an understanding of the Mission of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as
relation to position responsibilities
• Treat the property of The Salvation Army with due care and caution
• Represent the organization in a professional manner, acting in the best interest of the employer at
• Maintain confidentiality in all matters pertaining to clientele and coworkers of The Salvation Army
Centre of Hope
• Network with other Salvation Army programs and other community agencies
• Participate as an active and responsible member in all work groups through which position
responsibilities are achieved
• Participate in ongoing professional development and training
• Act in the best interest of the employer at all times
2. Client Services
• Exceptional customer service skills.
• Responsible to provide assistance to client’s in the various programs at the Centre of Hope and
identified satellite locations:
o Emergency Utility Assistance Programs
o Rental Assistance Program
o Other programs and services as assigned by manager
• Participate in and complete loan recovery work as assigned
• Complete applications for financial assistance and other community supports; verify and document
information as required, assess according to eligibility requirements and make recommendation to
• Provide referrals to other social service resources available in the community to meet their
emotional, spiritual and physical needs.
• Advocate and co-ordinate on client’s behalf with other agencies and related services, including
• Notify clients of eligibility or ineligibility for services and support.
• Build and maintain positive partnerships with community agencies and other stakeholders.
• Work in coordination with other agencies and community supports to best meet the client’s needs
and move towards housing stability.
• Assist in developing and administering evaluation processes.
3. Health and Safety
• Adhere to fire and health and safety standards pertaining to the Housing Stability Bank and other
areas of the Centre
• Work in compliance with OH&S Act and Regulations and abide by The Salvation Army’s health and
safety policies and procedures.
• Work closely with security, identifying any safety and security needs
• Responsible to work in compliance with the Ontario Health & Safety Acts and Regulations
• Responsible to use personal protective equipment and clothing as directed by the employer
• Responsible to report workplace hazards and dangers
• Responsible to work in a manner as required by the employer and use the prescribed safety
• Responsible to report workplace injuries or illness
• Maintain client files/ data base/excel spreadsheets.
• Assist manager in the collection and compilation of data and statistics.
• Answer and screen telephone calls, provide referrals to other resources or schedule appointments
• Maintain ongoing contact and support of clients as required according to program mandate.
• Participate in regular staff meetings to review operational effectiveness, changes in policies and
procedures, and in-service training.
• As required and as applicable, make suggestions that will improve efficiency, working conditions or
procedures to the Housing Stability Bank Manager
• Assist in developing and administering evaluation processes
Perform other position related duties as required.
This position description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not
designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities of the incumbent.
This position description will be reviewed by the employee and supervisor on a regular basis. Amendments
can be made at any time at the discretion of the employer.
The above responsibilities must be discharged in accordance with the Salvation Army’s Mission Statement, in
a professional manner, exemplifying Christian Standards of conduct.
CRITICAL RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT:
MANAGERIAL/TECHNICAL LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITY:
• This position reports directly to the Housing Stability Bank Manager or designate.
• The Supervisor will set the hours of work and work schedule.
• Understanding of and support for a Housing First philosophy in relation to client service delivery.
Normal hours of work – may vary as per operational requirements and responsibilities, and includes a ½ hour
paid meal break where applicable.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
• Completion of a University degree or two-year college diploma in Business Administration or Social
• Sound knowledge and understanding of community resources and supports for those who are
experiencing homelessness or are at risk of homelessness
• Demonstrated understanding or willingness to learn about Ontario Works, ODSP and the Residential
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
• Experience working with a diverse population, including mental health, addictions, persons from
diverse cultural backgrounds, men, women and youth
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (specifically Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint and Access)
• Knowledge of issues relevant to homelessness and poverty and sensitivity to the barriers facing highrisk populations
• Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s license, access to a vehicle, and provide a copy of a current driver’s
abstract that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required.
• First Aid/CPR and Non Violent Crisis Intervention or willingness to acquire one
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to complete assignments and meet deadlines with
Skills and Capabilities:
• Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment when making decisions
• Excellent communication and interview skills (both verbal and written) preference will be given to
candidates who are able to communicate written and orally in English and another language.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment
• Ability to undergo applicable screening and background checks successfully that are satisfactory to
The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion (i.e., The Salvation Army Abuse Registry) and provide an
original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening.
• Ability and willingness to develop an understanding and support for the mission and purpose of The
Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities.
Normal location of work is at: 281 Wellington Street, London, ON N6B 2L4 and outreach locations.
The primary accountability for the Finance Loans Clerk is the general accounting and financial duties associated with Housing Stability Bank, including Emergency Utility Assistance, Rental Assistance and loan recovery.
In support of our commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, The Salvation Army (TSA) has
a vaccination requirement for all employees in Canada. The successful candidate will be made an offer of
employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof
of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to
provincial/territorial human rights legislation. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected
by the Human Rights Code, a request for accommodation can be submitted and written proof satisfactory to
TSA will be required.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you
are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
You must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.