|The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army.
Watch inspiring stories from some of those who have been helped through The Salvation Army’s programs:
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
The primary accountability for the Desk Clerk is to greet and direct all visitors to the London Centre of Hope in a professional and courteous manner and the registration and intake of all community members wishing to make application to stay at the London Centre of Hope.
- To complete all duties in accordance with the Standards and Policies & Procedures of The Salvation Army London Centre of Hope
- Participate in regular staff meetings to review operational effectiveness, changes in policies and procedures, and in-service training
- As required and as applicable, make suggestions that will improve efficiency, working conditions or procedures to the Residential Services Manager.
- Greet all visitors to the London Centre of Hope in a welcoming and respectful manner, and ensuring any visitors with appointments are guided to the appropriate location;
- Answering or referring inquiries, made in person or by telephone, in a professional manner, directing telephone calls and/or taking and distributing telephone messages as required
- Accept, record and distribute mail and deliveries (including fax)
- Provide referrals or general information to community members
- Register new residents and notify hostel staff that person has been registered
- Distributing and monitoring use of access cards
- Maintain accurate records of client stays
- Refer clients to the appropriate persons for counseling, administration, pastoral care, medical assessment and social services assistance
- Ensure all reporting/recording is documented as required
- Hand out bag lunches
- Responsible to accept medications from residents at registration and as delivered from pharmacies, placing all medications the medication storage bin; returning medications to residents as directed by medication room personnel
- Accept, receipt and deposit in the safe, any monies received at Front Desk
- Work closely with security, identifying any safety and security needs
- Work cooperatively with staff from the various Centre of Hope departments to provide exemplary client service delivery
- Responsible to work in compliance with the Ontario Health & Safety Acts and Regulations
- Responsible to use personal protective equipment and clothing as directed by the employer
- Responsible to report workplace hazards and dangers
- Responsible to work in a manner as required by the employer and use the prescribed safety equipment
- Responsible to report workplace injuries or illness
- Develop an understanding of the Mission of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities.
- Maintain information in confidence as required.
- Participate as an active and responsible team member in all work groups through which position responsibilities are achieved.
- To treat the property of The Salvation Army with due care and caution.
- Represent the organization in a professional and engaging manner and assist personnel whom the position supports in developing those skills as required.
- Participate in supervision and performance appraisal process.
- Participate in ongoing professional development and training.
- Work in compliance with OH&S Act and Regulations and abide by The Salvation Army’s health and safety policies and procedures.
Perform other position related duties as required.
Qualifications and Education requirements
- Completion of a two year College Diploma or University Degree in the field of human and or social services is required
- Experience working with a diverse population, including mental health and addictions is an asset
- Knowledge and sensitivity to the social and economic barriers and issues unique to the shelter system
- Ability to use sound judgment when making decisions
- Exhibit a strength based approach & compassionate response
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to follow detailed instructions
- Good interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and disciplined
- Excellent computer and clerical skills-ability to electronically create, upload, file and send documents, navigate database, effectively manage email
- Understanding and support for a Housing First philosophy and issues relating to housing stability for vulnerable population groups
- First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention or willingness to acquire one
Conditions of Employment:
- Schedule may vary according to requirements of responsibilities – some weekend, evening and midnight work may be required and a willingness to adjust the weekly work schedule in order to better service the clients is required.
Hours per week:
- Competition # 001-2020: PT Perm – 16 hours: Saturday – Sunday 12:00pm – 8:00pm
- Competition # 002-2020: PT Perm – 24 hours: Friday – Sunday 12:00 midnight – 8:00am
- Competition #1014-2020: Relief – varies – no guaranteed hours
Provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the National Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment.
May require screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry.
Support for and an understanding of the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada.
Interested applicants must respond in writing with a cover letter, three professional references and resume.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation.
If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
Internal Applicants, please advise Department Heads of your intentions prior to submitting your application.