|The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army.
Watch inspiring stories from some of those who have been helped through The Salvation Army’s programs:
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
The primary accountability for maintaining a safe and secure environment for all clients, visitors and staff. Assess and address potential problem situations quickly and discreetly and effectively diffuse them with the least amount of disruption.
- To ensure the safety and security of all clients, visitors and staff at the London Centre of Hope
- To complete all duties in accordance with the Standards and Policies & Procedures of The Salvation Army London Centre of Hope
- Participate in regular staff meetings to review operational effectiveness, changes in policies and procedures, and in-service training
- As required and is applicable, make suggestions that will improve efficiency, working conditions or procedures to the Residential Services Manager.
- Complete regular and routine checks for security and fire throughout the building, visiting each floor as required
- Patrol premises, on foot, looking for unusual incidents, unsecured doors, windows or any other unusual occurrence which may lead to loss or damage to property or equipment
- Ensure that only authorized persons are admitted to assigned areas of the building
- Ensure all surveillance equipment is in good working order, informing the Residential Services Manager of any concerns
- Warn violators of rule infractions, such as loitering, smoking, in a polite, yet firm, manner
- Provide assistance to clients and visitors when required
- Must be familiar with emergency response policies and respond to emergency calls accordingly
- Maintain all necessary checklists such as rounds sheets, equipment inventory and DVR log
- Work cooperatively with staff from the various Centre of Hope departments to provide exemplary client service delivery
- Communicate regularly with the Residential Services Manager/Supervisor and Withdrawal Management Managers and/or Support Workers, reporting any security breaches immediately
- Responsible to work in compliance with the Ontario Health & Safety Acts and Regulations
- Responsible to use personal protective equipment and clothing as directed by the employer
- Responsible to report workplace hazards and dangers
- Responsible to work in a manner as required by the employer and use the prescribed safety equipment
- Responsible to report workplace injuries or illness
- To promote the mission, policies and objectives of The Salvation Army
- To maintain confidentiality in all matters pertaining to clientele and coworkers of The Salvation Army London Centre of Hope
- Participate as an active and responsible team member in all work groups through which position responsibilities are achieved
- To treat the property of The Salvation Army with due care and caution
- Represent the organization in a professional manner, acting in the best interest of the employer at all times
- Participate in ongoing professional development and training
Perform other position related duties as required.
Qualifications and Education requirements
- High School diploma
- Valid Security License is required
- Experience working in a social services setting
- Exhibit strength based approach & compassionate response
- Good organizational skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage crisis situations
- Basic computer knowledge- ability to electronically create, upload,, file and send documents, navigate database, effectively manage email
- Self-motivated and disciplined
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training
- First Aid/CPR
- Understanding of the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army
Conditions of Employment:
- Schedule may vary according to requirements of responsibilities – some weekend, evening and midnight work may be required and a willingness to adjust the weekly work schedule in order to better service the clients is required.
Hours per Week:
- Competition# 003-2020: PT Perm: 16 hours – Saturday & sunday 4pm-12 midnight
- Competition# 004-2020: PT Perm: 16 hours – Saturday & sunday 12 midnight-8am
- Competition# 005-2020: PT Perm: 16 hours – Saturday & sunday 8am-4pm
- Competition# 006-2020: FT Perm: 40 hours – Monday to Friday 8am-4pm
- Competition# 007-2020: FT Perm: 40 hours – Monday to Friday 4pm-12 midnight
- Competition# 1015-2020: Relief: Varies – No Guaranteed Hours
Provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the National Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment.
May require screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry.
Support for and an understanding of the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada.
Interested applicants must respond in writing with a cover letter, three professional references and resume.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation.
If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
Internal Applicants, please advise Department Heads of your intentions prior to submitting your application.