|The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army.
Watch inspiring stories from some of those who have been helped through The Salvation Army’s programs:
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
To provide a positive living environment for all Shelter clients. The main areas of responsibility will include providing a positive living environment for all clients, promoting independence and self-help, and ensuring that client’s day-to-day basic needs are being met.
- To complete all duties in accordance with the Standards and Policies & Procedures of The Salvation Army London Centre of Hope
- Participate in regular staff meetings to review operational effectiveness, changes in policies and procedures, and in-service training
- As required and as applicable, make suggestions that will improve efficiency, working conditions or procedures to the Residential Services Supervisor
- Perform all necessary clerical duties for client documentation, including forms, computer entries, log entries, wake-up times, etc.
- Responsible to read and initial Shift Change Report at beginning of shift and record in same at end of shift
- Responsible for greeting new clients who are admitted on your shift and providing required orientation
- Provide support, assistance, encouragement, referrals to clients
- Enforce agency rules and expectations consistently in accordance with Policies and Procedures
- Ensure all appropriate documentation and recording is maintained at all times
- Assist the Residential Services Manager in developing and implementing productive and appropriate activities/programs for the clients to participate in
- Responsible for the contents, upkeep and tidiness of supplies – including toiletries, linen/towels, binders, files, etc.,
- Liaise with Community Care Workers as required
- Responsible to ensure that clients have adequate supplies of needed items, including clothing
- Responsible to ensure that clients return any Centre of Hope belongings if they leave during your shift
- Responsible to follow through on all safety and security procedures (including fire) as outlined in the policy and procedures manual
- Participate in case management reviews as required, following through on any action plans and monitoring same on a daily basis
- Record any noted maintenance repairs on work orders and submit them using the online submission tool
- Make regular rounds throughout the floor
- Ensure dorms are locked daily as per policy
- Work closely with security and front desk staff, identifying any safety and security needs
- Work cooperatively with staff from the various Centre of Hope departments to provide exemplary client service delivery
Perform other position related duties as required.
Qualifications and Education requirements
- Completion of a two year College Diploma or University Degree in the field of human and or social services is required
- Experience working with a diverse population, including mental health and addictions is required.
- Knowledge and sensitivity to the social and economic barriers and issues unique to the shelter system
- Ability to use sound judgment when making decisions
- Knowledgeable regarding referral sources and other social service providers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Crisis intervention skills is an asset
- Exhibit strength based compassionate response
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to follow detailed instructions
- Good interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and disciplined
- Excellent computer and clerical skills- ability to electronically create, upload, file and send documents, navigate a database, effectively manage email
- Understanding and support for a Housing First philosophy and issues relating to housing stability for vulnerable population groups
- First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention or willingness to acquire one
Conditions of Employment:
- Schedule may vary according to requirements of responsibilities – some weekend, evening and midnight work may be required and a willingness to adjust the weekly work schedule in order to better service the clients is required.
|HOURS PER WEEK:
- Competition #008-2020: PT Perm – 16 hours: Saturday – Sunday rotation, 8am-4pm/4pm-12 midnight
- Competition #009-2020: PT Perm – 16 hours: Saturday – Sunday, 12 midnight-8am
- Competition #010-2020: PT Temp – 20 hours: Sunday – Wednesday, 8pm-12 midnight
- Competition #011-2020: PT Temp – 12 hours: Thursday – Saturday, 8pm-12 midnight
- Competition #012-2020: PT Temp – 20 hours: Monday – Friday, 1:30pm-5:30pm
- Competition #013-2020: PT Perm – 16 hours: Saturday – Sunday rotation, 8am-4pm/4pm-12 midnight
- Competition #017-2020: FT Perm – 40 hours: Monday – Friday, 8am-4pm
- Competition #021-2020: FT Temp – 40 hours: Monday – Friday, 8am-4pm
- Competition #022-2020: FT Perm – 40 hours: Monday – Friday, 4pm-12 midnight
- Competition #1007-2020: varies – no guaranteed hours
Provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the National Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment.
May require screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry.
Support for and an understanding of the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada.
Interested applicants must respond in writing with a cover letter, three professional references and resume.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation.
If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
Internal Applicants, please advise Department Heads of your intentions prior to submitting your application.