|Position Purpose summary:
The Salvation Army London Centre of Hope Support Worker is responsible to provide a positive living environment for all clients, promoting independence and self-help, and ensuring that client’s day-to-day basic needs are being met. As The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world, every position contributes to the spiritual and social services mission of The Salvation Army, ensuring that their work and interactions with clients and coworkers is done in a manner befitting Christian standards, attitudes, principles and goals.
- To complete all duties in accordance with the Standards and Policies & Procedures of The Salvation Army London Centre of Hope
- Participate in regular staff meetings to review operational effectiveness, changes in policies and procedures, and in-service training
- As required and as applicable, make suggestions that will improve efficiency, working conditions or procedures to the Residential Services Supervisor
- Perform all necessary clerical duties for client documentation, including forms, computer entries, log entries, wake-up times, etc.
- Responsible to read and initial Shift Change Report at beginning of shift and record in same at end of shift
- Responsible for greeting new clients who are admitted on your shift and providing required orientation
- Provide support, assistance, encouragement, referrals to clients
- Enforce agency rules and expectations consistently in accordance with Policies and Procedures
- Ensure all appropriate documentation and recording is maintained at all times
- Assist the Residential Services Manager in developing and implementing productive and appropriate activities/programs for the clients to participate in
- Responsible for the contents, upkeep and tidiness of supplies – including toiletries, linen/towels, binders, files, etc.,
- Liaise with Community Care Workers as required
- Responsible to ensure that clients have adequate supplies of needed items, including clothing
- Responsible to ensure that clients return any Centre of Hope belongings if they leave during your shift
- Responsible to follow through on all safety and security procedures (including fire) as outlined in the policy and procedures manual
- Participate in case management reviews as required, following through on any action plans and monitoring same on a daily basis
- Make regular rounds throughout the floor
- Ensure dorms are locked daily as per policy
- Work cooperatively with staff from the various Centre of Hope departments to provide exemplary client service delivery
2. Organizational Responsibilities:
- Develop an understanding of the Mission of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities.
- Maintain information in confidence as required.
- Participate as an active and responsible team member in all work groups through which position responsibilities are achieved.
- To treat the property of The Salvation Army with due care and caution.
- Represent the organization in a professional and engaging manner and assist personnel whom the position supports in developing those skills as required.
- Participate in supervision and performance appraisal process.
- Participate in ongoing professional development and training.
3. Health and Safety
- Work closely with security and front desk staff, identifying any safety and security needs
- Work in compliance with OH&S Act and Regulations and abide by The Salvation Army’s health and safety policies and procedures.
- Work closely with security, identifying any safety and security needs
- Responsible to work in compliance with the Ontario Health & Safety Acts and Regulations
- Responsible to use personal protective equipment and clothing as directed by the employer
- Responsible to report workplace hazards and dangers
- Responsible to work in a manner as required by the employer and use the prescribed safety equipment
- Responsible to report workplace injuries or illness
- Perform other position related duties as required.
- This position description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities of the incumbent.
- This position description will be reviewed by the employee and supervisor on a regular basis. Amendments can be made at any time at the discretion of the employer.
CRITICAL RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT:
MANAGERIAL/Technical Leadership RESPONSIBILITY:
- This position reports directly to the Residential Services Supervisor or designate.
FINANCIAL AND MATERIALS MANAGEMENT:
- The Supervisor will set the hours of work and work schedule.
- An original copy of a Criminal Background Check with vulnerable sector screening that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the National Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or a local police detachment.
- May require screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry
- An understanding of the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army .
education and experience Qualifications:
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Completion of a two year College Diploma or University Degree in the field of human and or social services is required
- Crisis intervention skills is an asset
- First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention or willingness to acquire one
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements
- Understanding and support for a Housing First philosophy and issues relating to housing stability for vulnerable population groups
- Exhibit strength based compassionate response
- Excellent computer and clerical skills- ability to electronically create, upload, file and send documents, navigate a database, effectively manage email
- Experience working with a diverse population, including mental health and addictions is required.
- Knowledge and sensitivity to the social and economic barriers and issues unique to the shelter system
- Ability to use sound judgment when making decisions
- Knowledgeable regarding referral sources and other social service providers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Skills and Capabilities:
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to follow detailed instructions
- Good interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and disciplined
Normal location of work is at: 281 Wellington Street, London, ON N6B 2L4 and outreach locations.
Provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the National Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment.
May require screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry.
Support for and an understanding of the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation.
If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.